From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Getting rid of EAPI 0 by the end of 2019
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2019 08:46:40
1 Hi,
2
3 We have <438 EAPI 0 ebuilds left (I've removed a few more since [1]).
4 We're nearing the time when we can finally get rid of EAPI 0. For this
5 reason, I'd like to set a 'media goal' of getting EAPI 0 by the end
6 of 2019.
7
8 Why getting rid of EAPI 0 is important? Because there's a huge leap
9 between EAPI 0 and EAPI 4+ (though 4 is also close to being gone).
10 Removing EAPI 0 means we can finally start cleaning up eclasses
11 and documentation. Just to name a few things, we're finally going
12 to have consistent '||die' in helpers, phase function set, USE flag
13 dependencies, no implicit RDEPEND... Just take a look at [2],
14 and you're going to be surprised how many things have changed.
15
16 What's been done? I've taken care of cleaning up old versions
17 and requesting stabilization of newer ones whenever feasible.
18 I've treecleaned a lot of dead packages (and a few of them have been
19 revived and updated). I've filed bugs for probably all the packages
20 left and collected them on the tracker [3].
21
22 What needs to be done? The maintainers need to port remaining packages
23 or send last rites for them. Some of those packages are not being cared
24 by the maintainers anymore, so if you see something valuable, take it.
25 If you see something obviously dead, let treecleaners know. Any and all
26 help will be appreciated!
27
28 The rough plan is to have a clear vision of what to do with
29 the remaining packages one month from now -- either have them bumped
30 to a newer EAPI and waiting for stabilization, or last rited for removal
31 in mid-December.
32
33 [1] https://qa-reports.gentoo.org/output/eapi_usage.txt
34 [2] https://projects.gentoo.org/pms/7/pms.html#x1-172000E