From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [Volunteers needed] Communicating use (and existence) of USE_PYTHON
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 11:50:52
1 On 03-12-2010 11:35:14 +0100, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
2 > to better communicate USE_PYTHON we could use:
3 >
4 > - a portage news entry
5
6 why portage?
7
8 > - notifications from within ebuilds
9 >
10 > - a users guide counterpart of
11 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/Python/developersguide.xml
12 >
13 > - mentioning in 'man make.conf'
14
15 why? make.conf is for "custom settings for Portage". Python ebuilds
16 should solve this, preferably matching the slots of python being
17 installed.
18
19 > This is overdue and has some urgency.
22 > Are you volunteering to get this going?
23 >
24 > Feel free to derive from <http://blog.hartwork.org/?p=972>.
25 >
26 > As it involves a GLEP and GuideXML maybe that's perfect for involving
27 > people being recruited at the moment.
28
29 Why a GLEP? The only thing you can do just now, is to make USE_PYTHON
30 default to something people would expect, and to be properly documented,
31 such that it turns up in search result somewhere at the top. (Last time
32 I needed it, I couldn't find it any more.)
36 Fabian Groffen
37 Gentoo on a different level