From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] openrc: oldnet vs newnet
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 19:05:31
1 On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 08:18:32PM +0200, Antoni Grzymala wrote:
2 > Does that support configurations where I set static addresses
3 > (including ipv6) and routes (also including ipv6) based on the SSID as
4 > is allowed by the oldnet scheme of things? I (and probably lots other
5 > ???power users???) rely on those features extensively and I thank whoever
6 > came up with the idea of actually configuring that in a pretty simple
7 > way (compared to other distros and OS'es where it is more complicated
8 > or plain impossible sometimes).
9
10 Things like this are why I wanted to bring up this
11 discussion. I personally haven't had a reason to set things up based
12 on a ssid, so I've never tried to do that.
13
14 wpa_supplicant doesn't assign addresses or routes to interfaces; it just
15 handles the wireless portion of the setup.
16
17 In my setup, dhcpcd handles assigning the route and address to the
18 interface.
19
20 For a setup involving static routes and addresses on wireless, you would
21 still need to use a network script to configure the routes or addresses,
22 just like you do for static addresses on a wired interface, you just
23 wouldn't want it to run wpa_supplicant since wpa_supplicant would
24 already be running.
25
26 I guess these are the questions I'm asking in this thread:
27
28 dhcpcd and wpa_supplicant, in particular, are able to manage any
29 network interfaces they find on a system independently of what we are
30 doing in the network scripts. The oldnet scheme runs one instance of
31 these for each network interface instead of running one instance and
32 allowing that instance to manage all of the interfaces. What is the
33 reason we do that? Is it possible to rework things so that the oldnet
34 scheme uses system wide instances of services instead of running
35 multiple copies of them on multiple interfaces where possible?
36
37 William