From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] usr merge
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2016 15:11:50
1 On Sat, Apr 09, 2016 at 12:06:47AM -0400, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
2 > On 4/8/16 11:03 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 > > On Fri, Apr 8, 2016 at 9:51 PM, Anthony G. Basile <blueness@g.o> wrote:
4 > >>
5 > >> Alternatively, this may introduce problems. So it seems like we're
6 > >> fixing something that isn't broken.
7 > >>
8 > >
9 > > What problems are you anticipating, especially in light of the fact
10 > > that many distros actually do it this way already?
11 >
12 > RBAC policy files for one. You'll probably break every single hardened
13 > gentoo server out there.
14
15 Tell me more about this; I don't know a lot about what would break.
16 Also, are you sure it would break, or are you just thinking that it
17 would?
18
19 > scripts and programs that assume different executables with the same
20 > name at different points along the path, eg I know a company where
21 > they've set up an ssh wrapper at /usr/local/bin/ssh which wrap /usr/bin/ssh.
22
23 This won't break, because /usr/bin/ssh would still exist as it does and
24 /usr/local is not touched.
25
26 File colissions between the directories that are being merged would
27 definitely be an issue that needs to be worked out before this could
28 happen, and I understand that. I know of at least one, and we would need
29 to find out if there are others.
30
31 Forgetting about /usr/local since we don't control that, this type of
32 file name collision across the bin directories is not good whether or
33 not you merge /usr. It would cause issues in path name resolution.
34
35 > security measures where you don't dereference sym links along $PATH
36 > because sym links can be used in various types of exploits.
37
38 Every amd64 gentoo system already has one of these, the "lib" symlink,
39 both in / and /usr, so if you aren't dereferencing symlinks, aren't you
40 already broken?
43 > > I don't really have a problem with making it optional or the default.
44 >
45 > if we don't make it optional we're going to cause some serious headaches
46 > for people who are invested in the current status quo.
49 > > It can also be left up to the maintainers, and of course somebody
50 > > could even fork baselayout/etc if they wish and virtualize it in
51 > > @system. Most things in Gentoo don't actually require a consensus to
52 > > move forward, especially if they aren't defaults.
53 >
54 > if we deprecate the linker scripts in /usr/lib by stubbing out
55 >gen_usr_ldscript, then its not as simple as "maintainer's choice".
56
57 gen_usr_ldscript is only needed if you are using separate /usr without
58 an initramfs. This is unsupported and orthogonal to the usr merge.
61 > > In any case, what is the point of this thread? If somebody wants to
62 > > implement a merged /usr what exactly is stopping them from doing so?
63 >
64 > i'm against something that doesn't maintain backwards compat.
65
66 If there are ways that merging / into /usr does not maintain backward
67 compatibility, I want to know what they are.
68
69 This is not directed at anyone specifically, it is just a general
70 comment.
71
72 I've seen a lot of speculation on this thread about what might break,
73 and a lot of comments about a perceived removal of choice.
74
75 Can someone help get a summary together? let's get a single message
76 summarizing everything.
77
78 Thanks,
79