From: Alex Legler <a3li@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [Gentoo Phoenix] an official Gentoo wiki
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 09:30:23
1 On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 01:37:03 +0200, Sebastian Pipping
2 <sping@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > [...]
5 > > >> Here's another idea:
6 > >> The German Wikipedia uses a concept called "sighted revisions". If
7 > >> you visit an article without logging in you will see the latest
8 > >> sighted revision, as an identified user you can also view the
9 > >> latest revision.
10 > >
11 > > That's an interesting idea, which we should consider.
12 >
13 > I'm not sure if that a thing to go for. Drawbacks:
14 > - More work (whereas we could use more manpower already)
15
16 We need moderators, that is clear. If they check the content for
17 correctness and remove spam they might just as well click one more
18 checkbox to mark a stable revision.
19
20 > - New bottlenecks
21
22 That's sorta point #1 rephrased.
23
24 > Couldn't we just make two big "namespaces"
25 >
26 > 'devs' -- Developers only
27 > 'registered' -- Full edit access to any registered user
28 >
29 > in the same wiki and have pages be in either namespace, reflecting the
30 > namespace in the page name or path somehow?
33 In MediaWiki, that'd be the nil namespace for 'registered',
34 i.e.
35 http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/25WaysToBreakYourMachine
36
37 and $whatever for 'devs':
38 http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Devs:25WaysToBreakYourMachine
39 or
40 http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Devwiki:25WaysToBreakYourMachine
41
42 For MoinMoin, I'd suggest what they call a wikicluster.
43 users:
44 http://wiki.gentoo.org/gentoowiki/25WaysToBreakYourMachine
45
46 devs:
47 http://wiki.gentoo.org/devwiki/25WaysToBreakYourMachine
48
49 > I expect that to be
50 > - easy to implement
51
52 For both, yes.
53
54 > - providing a good mix of openness and quality control
57 > > GuideXML documents are often experienced as an unnecessary
58 > > barrier.
59 >
60 > I think you should clearly state again that this is not gonna replace
61 > GuideXML, just migrate a few use cases where a wiki fits better.
62 > This is what you aim for, right?
65 !
68 Alex Legler | Gentoo Security / Ruby
69 a3li@g.o | a3li@××××××××××.de