From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] DistroWatch and Gentoo packages: status quo and future
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 09:11:48
1 On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 01:02:44 +0200, Sebastian Pipping
2 <webmaster@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > Hello there!
6 > Among other information the Gentoo page at DistroWatch [1] displays a
7 > table on about 200 selected packages [2] and how up to date Gentoo is
8 > per package. I assume that DistroWatch is still one of the first places
9 > people go to get a feeling for a Distro they heard about, besides
10 > Wikpedia and ${distro}.org.
11
12 Seriously, I doubt that the average Gentoo user comes from Distrowatch.
13 Gentoo is born from a necessity which is very different from the usual
14 binary distro. Gentoo has never been about fame or marketing.
15
16 > The freshness of these 200 packages have influence on how people
17 > perceive Gentoo on DistroWatch. While the tree as a whole is what we
18 > should keep as up to date as possible keeping these 200 packages (list
19 > further down) up to date can therefore be of particular importance.
20 >
21 > From a quick look at the table these packages seem to need extra care in
22 > Gentoo:
23 >
24 > cups (1.4.0) 1.3.11 <-- latest in Gentoo unstable/testing
25 > koffice (2.0.2) 1.6.3
26 > mysql (5.1.38) 5.0.84
27 > perl (5.10.1) 5.8.8
28 > php (5.3.0) 5.2.10
29 > samba (3.4.1) 3.3.7
32 > Packages not found in Gentoo that DistroWatch monitors across discros
33 are:
34 >
35 > apt
36 > synaptic
37 > .. Debian stuff, that Gentoo does not have packaged
38 >
39 > apache
40 > mod_ssl
41 > .. Apache 1.x seems gone from Gentoo (I suppose security)
42 >
43 > openjdk
44 > .. Not packaged in Gentoo, no idea why
45 >
46 > checkinstall
47 > Miro
48 > .. Not in official tree (yet?), available through an Overlay
49 >
50 > xmms
51 > .. Removed for security reasons, available through an Overlay
52 >
53 > Maybe we should move Miro to the main tree?
54
55 Most Gentoo users will have no problem to use overlays as they need
56 them. If we had more developers we could as maintain more packages,
57 as simple as that.
58
59 Besides that, if you want some new version, you are free to use
60 bugs.gentoo.org to submit a bug, version bump, or whatever.
63 Jesús Guerrero