From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Pre-GLEP RFC: Automated enforcing of REQUIRED_USE constraints
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2017 08:46:55
1 On nie, 2017-07-09 at 10:29 +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > > > > > > On Sun, 09 Jul 2017, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > On nie, 2017-07-09 at 09:22 +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
4 > > > Second, and more important, introduction of an automatic solver
5 > > > would inevitably lead to proliferation of REQUIRED_USE in the tree.
6 > > > However, nothing would guarantee that the package manager on the
7 > > > user's side is capable of solving the constraints automatically.
8 > > > The result would be more emerge failures and asking for more
9 > > > micro-management of flags by users.
10 > > Think of dynamic deps. We were able to eventually contain them, and
11 > > teach developers not to account for them even though they are still
12 > > enabled by default, I think.
13 > > I don't see why optional autosolving of REQUIRED_USE could not be
14 > > contained by a policy as well.
15 >
16 > Then can you please confirm that the policy outlined in
17 > https://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/use-flags/index.html#conflicting-use-flags
18 > can stay in place indefinitely, and that your GLEP doesn't intend to
19 > change it?
20
21 The GLEP does not mention that policy at all, so it's not affected.
22 If we decide to change it, it will be done independently of the GLEP.
23
24 > > Of course, there will be some people who will violate it but it's
25 > > not something that doesn't happen anyway right now.
26 >
27 > A policy that isn't enforced is useless.
28
29 Say that to the people who invented USE=gtk2,gtk3 instead of USE=gtk. Oh
30 wait...
31
32 > > Are you suggesting that we introduce half-tested feature in EAPI 7,
33 > > then spend a few years figuring out that it doesn't work as
34 > > expected?
35 >
36 > No, I am suggesting that we introduce a new package manager feature in
37 > a well defined way, so that ebuild authors can rely on it. We have a
38 > mechanism for that, and I don't see a good reason not to follow it.
39 >
40 > > Because I don't see how we get it tested properly without having
41 > > users actually test it and report the results.
42 >
43 > It shouldn't be necessary for the spec to specify all details of the
44 > algorithm. It should catch the basics though in the next EAPI, like
45 > leftmost preferred, banning empty groups, and banning USE conditionals
46 > inside groups.
49 Works for me. However, the problem is whether i'll live to see the day
50 when I can realistically use it.
51
52 python-single-r1 needs this urgently. Today. Not 15 years from now when
53 we can drop support for EAPI <=6. Presuming Gentoo will be anything but
54 a huge pile of defunct policies and bureaucracy 15 years from now.
57 Best regards,
58 Michał Górny