From: Ionen Wolkens <ionen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] sys-meta/* to own and control /bin/{cpio,sh,tar,...} symlinks (alternatives-ish)
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2022 02:10:24
1 On Wed, Nov 23, 2022 at 09:05:47PM -0500, Ionen Wolkens wrote:
2 > On Thu, Nov 24, 2022 at 01:32:04AM +0000, Alexey Sokolov wrote:
3 > > > However, I tend to agree that the category should be named app-meta
4 > > > rather than sys-meta, because chances are that non-system packages will
5 > > > also make use of it.
6 > > >
7 > > > Ulrich
8 > >
9 > > Since these packages manage symlinks, make it app-symlink?
10 >
11 > Mentioned this in another post, but this is limiting what would make
12 > sense to be in there further.
13 >
14 > app -> what if it's library alternatives?
15 > symlink -> what if we need to use wrappers or some other solution?
16
17 Then again, I guess installing a wrapper / config files, etc... won't
18 fall under metapackage anymore, given installing code vs just making a
19 symlink.
22 > Not that we ever really match categories perfectly either way, but
23 > may as well stay generic rather than mismatch or create multiple
24 > sub-types.
25 >
26 > Some random ideas I had were 'alternatives', 'meta', 'select'
27 > 'select-meta', not that I thought much about it.
28 >
29 > 'meta' would essentially be like an entirely generic 'virtual' but
30 > just without PMS restrictions. While the ones with alternatives or
31 > select are more descriptive of what it's for without saying anything
32 > about how we're doing it or for what type of package.
33 > --
34 > ionen
39 ionen