From: Michael Kohl <citizen428@××××××.org>
To: svyatogor@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] volonteers for a gentoo admin tool (portage frontend)
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 14:15:11
1 On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 16:50:35 +0000
2 Svyatogor <svyatogor@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I am very extremely interested in taking part in a project like that.
5 > However I would like to make a suggestion on it: from what I
6 > understood from your previous posts you are using Python + Dialog,
7 > which basically means the console interface for the tool.
8
9 Yeah, being able to use a tool like this on machines without X or
10 remotely via SSH etc. is IMHO a must.
11
12 > While this has an undisputable advnatage that we're 100% sure that
13 > everyone can run it we have one problem with it: Such a tool will not
14 > be very friendly to beginner users, espesially those ones who are just
15 > trying Linux for the first time. Most people are used to WIMPY
16 > interface and feel uncomfortable when they have o do anything in
17 > console.
18
19 In my original proposal I stated the several that a GUI agnostic
20 approach would be nice. Read: core functionality, plus several frontends
21 like console (dialog or ncurses), GTK and QT.
22
23 > My suggestion is to maintain in parlel with your tool another program,
24 > providing the same functonality but build using one of the GUI
25 > toolkits, say GTK or Qt. Cause I have some experience with Qt
26 > programming I could mainatin that part.
27
28 And I'd be very interested in participating in the GTK version. I've
29 never done any useful work for GTK so far, but startet playing around
30 with the Python GNOME bindings, Glade and stuff like that. Working
31 together with someone who already has knowledge on this subject
32 would be a great oppurtunity for me to learn while doing something
33 useful for the Gentoo community (hopefully).
34
35 3 more days until my exams are finished, after that I have more time on
36 my hands.
37
38 Michael
41 www.cargal.org
42 GnuPG-key-ID: 0x90CA09E3
43 Jabber-ID: citizen428 [at] cargal [dot] org
44 Registered Linux User #278726