From: Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Recruiting process (Re: [gentoo-dev] base-system needs developers who care)
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2016 03:25:40
1 On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 4:17 PM, Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o>
2 wrote:
3
4 > Over the years, the base-system package herd has grown in size. Today
5 > it comprises 320 packages, of which 61 of those have more than one
6 > maintainer. The packages with more than one maintainer I'm only
7 > concerned about if the other maintainer is also very busy or not
8 > available.
9 >
10 > Some of these packages are very niche, and while they continue to work,
11 > they could use a bit more attention than they get presently (you might
12 > only hear about them when they break and never when they work).
13 >
14 > They are generally NOT broken and in need of tree-cleaning, but are just
15 > lacking forward momentum (not a few bugs are reasonable upstream bugs or
16 > feature improvements). Many were once shiny and had lots of people that
17 > cared, but that dwindled as they become mundane and just expected to
18 > work.
19 >
20 > General increase in the number of developers in base-system would not be
21 > a bad outcome from this email either ;-).
24 This...kinda touches on a side issue. I've been a bit waylaid by RL issues
25 during my quest to become a developer myself, and both of my prospective
26 mentors had to step aside for the same reason before the process could
27 finish.
28
29 I'm a little slow on the quizzes and some recent changes in gentoo
30 invalidated some of my answers, so part of it is my fault for falling
31 behind.
32
33 But I was kinda wondering, is there anything that can be done to beef up
34 the manpower? Is there any need to?
37 > Some of this is from stuff I know needs eyeballs, and others are where
38 > the package seems to have more than a few old bugs open.
39 >
40 > Packages in need of review & tweaks or just more eyeballs
41 > ----------------------------------------------------------
42 > app-admin/sudo (upstream?)
43 > app-admin/sysklogd- (upstream?)
44 > app-shells/bash (upstream?)
45 > dev-util/strace (upstream?)
46 > net-dialup/ppp
47 > net-firewall/iptables
48 > net-fs/nfs-utils (upstream?)
49 > net-misc/dhcpcd (upstream?)
50 > net-misc/dhcp (upstream?)
51 > net-misc/ntp (upstream?)
52 > net-misc/openssh
53 > net-nds/rpcbind
54 > sys-apps/baselayout
55 > sys-apps/coreutils (upstream?)
56 > sys-apps/kbd (upstream?)
57 > sys-block/aoetools
58 > sys-block/iscsitarget
59 > sys-block/open-iscsi
60 > sys-block/thin-provisioning-tools
61 > sys-block/vblade
62 > sys-fs/lvm2 (mostly in regards to genkernel interaction)
63 > sys-fs/multipath-tools
64 > sys-fs/quota
65 >
66 > --
67 > Robin Hugh Johnson
68 > Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Trustee & Treasurer
69 > E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
70 > GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
71 > GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136