From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] What's going on with the tmpfiles eclasses?
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2019 11:07:48
1 On 4/26/19 12:53 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 >>
3 >> And the only reason we would need a transient directory created and/or
4 >> cleaned-up is because one of those service managers is going to start a
5 >> program that needs it. Two of them can use the tmpfiles mechanism, but
6 >> the others must handle it on their own: in particular, they don't need
7 >> tmpfiles_process() to do anything.
10 > No. tmpfiles is also used for programs started directly by user, such
11 > as eix.
14 Good example. Does eix work on a machine running something other than
15 systemd or OpenRC? I don't think so -- not if it needs that tmpfiles
16 entry to be processed every reboot. Thus it should have its own RDEPEND
17 on virtual/tmpfiles, making the one in the eclass redundant.
18
19 I suspect the same is true of any other example. Let's get to the point:
20 is there a single example of a package that works with runit, sysvinit,
21 or daemontools but which needs tmpfiles_process() to run?