From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Uncoordinated changes
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2016 13:15:21
1 On 15 February 2016 at 00:37, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
2 > Or JSON, or YAML, or whatever
3 > is trendy now.
6 I would love a JSON form. I tried doing my own stuff with XML and I
7 gave up in the complexity factory I found myself building around it :(
8
9 Just ... not YAML. The YAML spec is much less well defined and much
10 less "regular", and much less ubiquitous as a transport.
11
12 And if you standardize on JSON, JSON is valid YAML 1.2, but not vice versa.
13
14 And so as long as you don't do any cute things like permit different
15 structures in the same slots like:
16
17 { author => "foo@×××.com" }
18 { author => { email => "foo@×××.com" , name => ... }}
19
20 You'll be fine, Because you get nice messes when code expects a value
21 to be a hash instead of a scalar and try to keep the data
22 self-consistent. Its just not worth the programming expense in every
23 single implementation just to provide a little sugar syntax.
27 Kent
28
29 KENTNL - https://metacpan.org/author/KENTNL