From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in net-nds/openldap/files: openldap-2.4.40-db-6.patch
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 09:43:06
1 On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 11:37 PM, Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov
2 <mva@×××.name> wrote:
3 > Btw, since Gentoo do not (mostly) provide packages itself, but only build
4 > instructions (ebuild), can't we just ship ebuild that "patches" openldap
5 > violates to force to use db6>=19 with "bindist" USE?
8 Can we do it legally? Sure.
9
10 Will we do it? I think that depends on whether the maintainer or
11 somebody else wants to keep up with the necessary work if upstream has
12 dropped it.
13
14 It is really up to the maintainer. Generally we try to follow
15 upstream because we don't have the manpower to do otherwise most of
16 the time.
19 Rich