From: 320095285153-0001@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Python Probs
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 03:35:47
1 "Jerry A!" wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 08:57:17AM +0100, Achim Gottinger wrote:
4 > :
5 > : Do you think we need sys-devel/python-basic? I think we can remove it
6 > : because we still have dev-lang/python. In opposit to perl, python is
7 > : not required to build anythin in sys so we don't need python-basic any
8 > : longer.
9 >
10 > If I read Dan's previous e-mail correctly, it's dev-lang/python that
11 > should be going away. Though, I do believe that now that we have
12 > sys-devel/python we can do away with sys-devel/python-basic.
13 >
14 > --Jerry
15
16 Hmm, I always thought sys should contain everything that's required for
17 building itself and everything that's
18 required for a minimum runtime system.
19 dev-lang/python includes tcl-tk support, sys-devel/python not otherwise we
20 must must xfree/tcl-tk to sys
21 which is a bad idea.
22 So dev-langy/python can not go away.
23 But in sys we only need spython with a basic set of libs. Libs must be
24 placed in /lib because spython is used
25 by env-update which is called during boot and so it must work without /usr
26 mounted.
27
28 -Achim-
32 > name: Jerry Alexandratos || Open-Source software isn't a
33 > phone: 703.599.6023 || matter of life or death...
34 > email: jerry@××××××.com || ...It's much more important
35 > || than that!
37 > gentoo-dev mailing list
38 > gentoo-dev@g.o