From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Portage Git migration - clean cut or git-cvsserver
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 11:33:45
1 On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 6:16 AM, Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o> wrote:
2 > Yeah... this is why I was asking about access to infra to test the
3 > conversion; so far, I haven't had any replies, though.
6 A mock conversion would probably help with creating
7 procedures/docs/etc as well. It is nice to say that we're "just going
8 to use git" but I think everybody has a slightly different picture of
9 how that is going to work.
10
11 If we could set up an "official unofficial" portage tree in git based
12 on a one-time migration (maybe refreshing it from time to time) that
13 could be a sandbox used to work things out, and it would then be
14 replaced with the official tree. When the official migration comes
15 along we'd already be experts in doing it.
16
17 All we need to do is execute the migration, and just not point the
18 rsync generation process at it. Maybe it won't be perfectly right at
19 first, and that would basically be the point of doing it. Devs could
20 update tools to work against it, and the docs could be written
21 alongside.
22
23 Rich