From: Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: ion license
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 01:45:10
1 Peter Gordon wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2007-05-13 at 01:19 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 >> Supporting this would be a huge policy violation, and not so merely as
4 >> a technicality. I suggest simply removing ion support from the main
5 >> tree, and sticking it in an overlay that comes with a big warning
6 >> telling users that they cannot expect any level of QA for those
7 >> packages.
8 >
9 > Could we not simply rename it, as has been suggested many times thus
10 > far? Then we could mask ion3 and let people know why and what it was
11 > renamed to, et al.
12
13 As far as I can tell, we try not to be "upstream" as such; just to stick
14 closely to the package(s) upstream puts out until the situation becomes
15 untenable.
16
17 I agree with Ciaran; removing it is a good idea as long as upstream's
18 licensing scheme is retarded.
19
20 Just keeping it in the tree (under a new name) until it completely stops
21 working eventually doesn't sound like a better idea than removal.