From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] separate /usr without initramfs
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2019 18:14:28
1 Hey all,
2
3 I have been advised to bring this topic back to the list before taking
4 any action, so here it is.
5
6 First, I need to clarify what I'm *NOT* talking about.
7
8 This discussion has nothing to do with whether or not you have the
9 split-usr use flag turned on; all of us officially have that on because
10 /bin, /lib* and /sbin are directories in the official Gentoo setup. In
11 other words, I am *not* talking about forcing the /usr merge.
12
13 Unfortunately, the concept of separate usr has gotten wrapped up in the
14 split-usr use flag and doesn't have to be. For the record, I mean something
15 very specific when I say "separate usr". I am talking about the situation
16 where /usr is a mount point separate from /, so in this thread, let's stick
17 to "separate usr" for that situation. I am *not* even saying that using
18 separate usr is wrong or unsupported. You can even run separate usr with
19 split-usr turned off if you would like to do so.
20
21 Now for the use case I want to talk about, and that is using separate
22 /usr without using an initramfs to boot your system and pre-mount /usr.
23
24 If you do this, many things are broken, and this is why the binary
25 distros all use an initramfs if you do this. This configuration is also
26 unsupported officially in Gentoo [1] [2], and it is not shown as the
27 example setup in our handbook.
28
29 I want to hear from people who have / and /usr on separate partitions
30 and who are not using an initramfs.
31
32 If you are in this group, I have a very specific question. Why aren't
33 you using an initramfs?
34
35 Thanks,
36