From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About how many spaces a tab represents
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 21:25:43
1 On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 23:22:04 +0200
2 Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
3 > I noticed this problem now that joe was modified to comply with this
4 > rule set in devmanual:
5 > http://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/file-format/index.html#indenting-and-whitespace
6 >
7 > It stated a tab represents 4 spaces. Where does this rule come from?
8 > Why 8 spaces wasn't chosen instead? I say that because looks like 8
9 > spaces equivalence is used by tools like "cat", "less", even CVS
10 > reports in gentoo-commits show tabs as 8 spaces instead of 4.
11
12 Hysterical raisins. Unfortunately drobbins mandated it that way early
13 on, because he didn't use a proper text editor.
16 Ciaran McCreesh