From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] changing packages you do not maintain
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 01:18:35
1 All,
2
3 gentoo policy states that if you want to make a change to a package, but
4 you find that it is maintained by someone else, you are supposed to
5 contact them and give them a reasonable chance to reply before you
6 change the packages they maintain unless you have a different
7 arrangement with them or you are one of the herd maintainers for the
8 package.
9
10 The exceptions to this that I know about would be things like a
11 developer being on devaway or some sort of tree-wide change that affects
12 the package in question. But, tree-wide changes are usually
13 announced here anyway, so those are different.
14
15 I am concerned because lately I have seen several packages I maintain
16 being touched without this attempt to contact me.
17
18 It isn't that I mind the help, I just like to know when something is
19 about to be changed with packages I work on and why.
20
21 Could everyone please bear this in mind when dealing with packages you
22 do not maintain?
23
24 Thanks much,
25