From: Marek Szuba <marecki@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Add systemd/merged-usr profiles
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2022 12:21:00
1 On 2022-08-31 17:27, Mike Gilbert wrote:
2
3 > The only pain point I see is for users with /usr on a separate
4 > filesystem and that are not using an appropriate initramfs.
5
6 As mentioned on IRC earlier on today, another (although this would be
7 less of a pain point and more of a sneaky changes to run-time behaviour
8 of a system) might be ebuilds which rely on PATH precedence of /usr/bin
9 over /bin to override binaries installed in the latter by other
10 packages. Some examples:
11
12 - app-arch/lbzip2[symlink] - installs /usr/bin/b{,un}zip2 to override
13 /bin/b{,un}zip2 installed by app-arch/bzip2;
14
15 - app-arch/pigz[symlink] - ditto for g{,un}zip and app-arch/gzip;
16
17 - app-arch/gzip installs the symlink /bin/uncompress pointing to
18 gunzip, app-arch/ncompress installs /usr/bin/uncompress pointing to
19 compress.
20
21 There probably are more though, and I feel these will all need a
22 systemic change - eselect modules? shell aliases? - to how such
23 overrides are handled. Still, for the time being packages which have
24 such behaviour controlled by USE flags should me added to
25 package.use.force of relevant profiles.
28 Marecki

OpenPGP_signature.asc application/pgp-signature