From: Mikael Hallendal <hallski@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage question
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 15:35:50
1 Den 25 Aug 2001 22:23:22 +0100 skrev Christopher Burgess:
2 > > You can do this by:
3 >
4 > > ebuild package.ebuild unpack
5 > > apply your changes
6 > > ebuild package.ebuild qmerge
7 >
8 > Thanks, I'll try that - btw (so I can learn more about the portage system)
9 > a) what's the difference/function of emerge and ebuild, and b) why "qmerge"
10 > in the above command, what does that stand for/mean?
11
12 As in the mail from Drobbins, it should be merge not qmerge.
13
14 Ebuild is a tool which lets you excecute step by step in the
15 build-process. Please look at 'man ebuild' and 'man emerge' for the
16 differences.
17
18 > > If this is a patch that others would have need of (and it doesn't break
19 > > anything for folks with other graphic cards) we should consider adding
20 > > it by default.
21 >
22 > Well I'm trying to find more about patch, though it doesn't seem official,
23 > and there isn't much comment on it. See:
24 > http://www.xfree86.org/archives/xfree86/2001-Jul/0017.shtml
25 > I will post here when I have found out if it works for me.
26
27 Thanks.
28
29 Regards,
30 Mikael Hallendal
34 Mikael Hallendal
35 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team Leader
36 CodeFactory AB, Stockholm, Sweden