From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: openrc: use iproute2 for all network handling in linux
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 01:27:43
1 Joshua Saddler schrieb:
2 > if net-tools isn't being dropped from the system set, don't force our
3 > users to install redundant utilities.
4
5 ip is not redundant. You need it for e.g. GRE tunnels.
6
7 net-tools uses the old /proc/net/dev interface, while iproute uses
8 netlink. This is very much like wireless extensions vs. cfg80211, where
9 the old interface is still around for legacy compatibility but won't
10 receive updates for new features. Eventually, you want to get rid of all
11 /proc/net/dev and wext stuff in order to have a legacy-free system.
12
13 I would be very much in favour of not installing net-tools by default as
14 soon as openrc switches to iproute. However I think this would make many
15 users unhappy so has to be carefully prepared and users educated first.
16 Debian has set this goal in 2007[1] and they have not reached it yet.
19 Best regards,
20 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn
23 [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2007/07/msg01113.html