From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Moving CPU flags into USE_EXPAND
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 15:17:02
1 On Wed, 14 Jan 2015 12:58:21 +0100
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Any specific comments? I can handle x86 but I'd appreciate specific
5 > arch teams replying about more exotic arches.
6
7 +1
8
9 i like the idea, but with a list of useflags that would get converted
10 this could "reach" more people i think
11
12 profiles/base/use.mask should be organized enough to easily get such a
13 list
14
15 however, i disagree with your rationale: asm for specific cpu
16 extensions tend to be written and tested after given cpu is available,
17 thus if you have a brand new cpu, you want to be notified if a package
18 gains support for this new instruction set
19
20 the advantages I see is that for packages like mplayer or ffmpeg, it
21 is a pain to distinguish what is a cpu extension, what is a codec or
22 what is just a preference over an external lib; this would make it
23 clear.
24
25 USE_EXPAND_HIDDEN would also make irrelevant flags for your
26 architecture hidden and not just masked.
29 Alexis.