From: Marien Zwart <marienz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: EAPI spec (was Re: Re: let's clear things up (was Slacker archs))
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 18:27:25
1 On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 06:42:39PM +0100, Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
2 > On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 17:10:38 +0100
3 > Marien Zwart <marienz@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > The
6 > > idea was to not get any messy portage quirks documented as required
7 > > standard behaviour, the risk here is that we'll now get paludis quirks
8 > > documented as required standard behaviour.
9 >
10 > Well, that'll come out in review later, I would expect. I'll be
11 > surprised if the EAPI=0 spec Ciaran et. al. are working on just gets
12 > rubber-stamped without anyone looking! This thread shows there are a
13 > number of people who know what they're talking about and will review it
14 > heavily when it is published as a draft, and the council are unlikely
15 > to approve something that doesn't have broad support.
16
17 I'd like to add some emphasis on "when it is published as a draft".
18 What makes me uncomfortable is that the intention seems to be to
19 release that draft simultaneously with the Paludis 1.0_pre mentioned
20 earlier, which is rather a lot later than I'd like to see it.
21
22 > With respect to having a small relatively closed group for initial
23 > drafting - it's a sensible way to do things in the early stages (it's
24 > not the only sensible way of course).
25
26 In the early stages: agreed. I just hope it will not be developed up
27 to "release candidate" status with little external (from non-Paludis
28 devs) input.
29
30 > If anyone doesn't like it,
31 > there's nothing stopping them from drafting their own in a different
32 > way. Indeed, having two strong drafts would be good, for finding
33 > idiosyncrasies from different perspectives.
34
35 If I considered myself qualified and had a lot of spare time I would
36 have started doing that by now :)
37
38 > I have to say, the few queries I've seen from Ciaran have been exactly
39 > what I would (happily) expect.
40
41 Yes, the *few* queries I've seen were ok. Perhaps there is simply much
42 less there yet than I think there is.
45 Marien.