From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] what to do when an ebuild needs loads of RAM?
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 22:55:56
1 On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 23:42:14 +0100 kosmikus <kosmikus@g.o> wrote:
2 | cat /proc/meminfo | grep MemTotal | sed -r
3 | "s/[^0-9]*([0-9]+).*/\1/"
4
5 Miaow! Someone call the ASPCA.
6
7 | It could be argued that it is better for the ebuild to die rather than
8 | just warn since it is not nice to "emerge world", go for lunch and
9 | then come back later to find the build failed and X has been killed
10 | (and there'll be very little obvious evidence of what happened). If
11 | the user wants to build anyway perhaps a package USE flag or something
12 | could indicate to override the check.
13
14 Naah, I'd go for the warning with maybe an ebeep. If you really must
15 have a force thingie, it shouldn't be a USE flag, since USE flags are
16 for things which affect the resultant program.
17
18 I'd also be veeeeeeery wary about looking for a certain amount of RAM.
19 Chances are that the value in question will vary depending upon machine
20 and arch.
23 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, Sparc, Mips)
24 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
25 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm