From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Adding CPUFLAGS USE_EXPAND variable to the profiles
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 16:24:07
1 On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 16:20:08 +0200 Danny van Dyk <kugelfang@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | I suggest to add a "CPUFLAGS" USE_EXPAND variable to the tree.
4 | This should be set to sane defaults in the profiles. I.e. for x86,
5 | it should not set CPUFLAGS at all, and on AMD64 it should be
6 | CPUFLAGS="mmx sse sse2"
7
8 The issue with this is that $feature on amd64 is not exactly the same as
9 $feature on x86. Would a better name be ${ARCH}_FEATURES or somesuch?
10 That way there would be no confusion as to whether the cpuflags_sse2 USE
11 flag did something for x86 or for amd64 or for both, since there'd be
12 either x86_features_sse2 or amd64_features_sse2 or both. It'd also make
13 handling use masking much easier.
16 Ciaran McCreesh
17 Mail : ciaran dot mccreesh at blueyonder.co.uk
21 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list