From: Paul <set@×××××.com>
To: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Why should copyright assignment be a requirement?
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 05:17:13
1 Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>, on Thu Aug 21, 2003 [12:17:23 AM] said:
2
3 > With regards to copyrights, it's necessary for us to own copyright on
4 > ebuilds in order to defend our intellectual property. If we (Gentoo
5 > Technologies) don't own copyright on ebuilds (and other pieces of
6 > Gentoo), we have no legal leg to stand on if someone (for example)
7 > attempts to put a more restrictive license on that piece of intellectual
8 > property.
9 >
10 > In short: if we don't own copyright, we can't defend ourselves.
11 >
12 > --
13 > Jon Portnoy
14 > avenj/irc.freenode.net
15
16 Hi;
17
18 Thankyou for your kind, swift response;
19
20 Maybe its my paranoia, but while I _might_ be willing
21 to assign copyright to the FSF, Im not sure a company with
22 a distribution deserves such trust. Witness Caldera...
23
24 Once you have the GPL, you have a license. I could
25 relicense an ebuild to, say some *BSD based thing, or some
26 commercial spin-off if I wanted (if I still hold copyright),
27 but that doesnt affect "Gentoo Technologies, Inc." right
28 to use the ebuild under the GPL. It just affects their ability
29 to completely control the 'intellectual property'.
30
31 In short, Im hearing that its protective leverage
32 for Gentoo Technologies, Inc., an entity whose status I am not
33 currently sure of...
34
35 Paul
36 set@×××××.com