From: Rufiao <rufiao@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFP: System to account users configurations
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 18:11:17
1 The abuse of this kind of system should be taken into account, since it may be quite easy for someone to create a bot (or whatever) capable of feeding the system with fake data, and by consequence destroy its reputation.
2
3 However, I agree this issue should not complicate the system setup. There are problems with the approach I've described, in particular for users who maintain more than a couple of Gentoo boxes (it may be inconvenient even for people who run more than one machine, due to the fact it's necessary to have one key per machine).
4
5 Debian's popularity-contest uses SMTP as its transport, both to avoid the need for constant internet connection and to have some means to ensure the identity of every contributing machine. I'm not sure SMTP can help on the identification of users at all, and it may complicate the setup even more for users who don't have local MTA spools set (and which want to participate but don't have constant connectivity), so I've discarded it.
6
7 Also, using the machine's IP addresses as a measure of abuse (by investigating how many posts occur for a given address) may lead to bad results, since some users have more than one machine under a 1:n NAT.
8
9 In the end, it may be better to simply avoid the signup, and use some 'loose' approach, which is to ask the user's e-mail to be used just in the case of abuse detection (of course a 'bad' user could provide a fake e-mail address, but in this case, after the detection of abuse and a unsucessful attempt to contact the user, all his provided data can be set to be automatically rejected by the server-side system).
10
11 But it may happen there's a better approach for this whole problem.. Any thoughts?
12
13 On Sun, 16 Jun 2002 17:12:52 -0400