From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] client/server policy for ebuilds
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 01:34:14
1 On Sat, 2006-06-10 at 02:01 +0100, Roy Marples wrote:
2 > On Saturday 10 June 2006 01:33, Alec Warner wrote:
3 > > > So we have two use flags - client and server. Here are the possabilities
4 > > >
5 > > > -client -server
6 > > > +client -server
7 > > > +client +server
8 > > > -client +server
9 > > >
10 > > > Do we read -client -server and +client +server to mean the same thing?
11 > > > If so the logic can read
12 > > >
13 > > > if use client || ! use server ; then
14 > > > # build client
15 > > > fi
16 > > > if use server || ! use client ; then
17 > > > # build server
18 > > > fi
19 > > >
20 > > > How does portage stop us from doing that now?
21 > >
22 > > built_with_use is then incorrect, since for -client -server you really
23 > > built both.
24 >
25 > use client && build client
26 > use server && build server
27 >
28 > The problem here is that breaks existing ebuilds, which could be viewed as
29 > equally bad.
30 >
31 > But technically built_with_use isn't incorrect as the ebuild wasn't built with
32 > it. To effectively use built_with_use you cannot assume that the flag does
33 > what it says on the tin - you have to inspect the ebuild code you're
34 > querying.
35
36 > Prior history shows deps of db vs gdbm where if both or neither then db was
37 > used, otherwise the flagged db was used.
38
39 Maybe along the same lines as what you are pointing out here it should
40 also be noted that built_with_use is semi faulty and can return wrong
41 results when no /var/db/pkg/$CATEGORY/$PVR/USE exists. This happens when
42 using the most recent ppc-uclibc stages which omitted a few entries
43 from the vdb. We end up having some ebuild or other assuming that
44 uclibc itself was built with +nls when it's really (-nls) use.masked
45 etc..
49 > Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
50 > Gentoo/Linux Developer (baselayout, networking)
51 --
52 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
53 Gentoo Linux
56 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list