From: Einar Karttunen <ekarttun@×××××××××××.fi>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Security guidelines for Gentoo
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 03:36:07
1 On 14.03.02 10:11 +0100(+0000), kn@××××××××××.dk wrote:
2 > Considerations before installation
3 > BIOS password
4 If the machine is a server set the bios password only to guard
5 against modifying the settings i.e. it should not be asked on
6 startup because of remote reboots. Also make sure the machine
7 will not boot from floppy/cd/network.
8
9 > Password policy
10 Gentoo could have a stricter pam config on this
11 because currently very weak passwords get through.
12
13 > Tightening the security after/during installation
14 > /etc/make.conf
15 To this I would like to add signed ebuilds.
16
17 > Grub/Lilo password
18 Against modifications yes, but not hindering the boot.
19
20 > More Logging
21 Add log rotation to this
22
23 > -noexec
24 Noexec is no real solution on linux.
25
26 > PAM
27 Should be IMHO tighter by default.
28
29 > Kernel security
30 > /proc
31 Some form restricting proc i.e. all
32 users but those belonging to one group
33 cannot see *anything* they don't need.
34
35 > Kernel patches
36 > Grsecurity
37 Currently fails against the gentoo kernel
38 (see some posts this week about it on the
39 gentoo-dev list)
40
41 > Using xinetd
42 Or using no inetd at all. Many servers/home machines
43 which run only http, ssh and mail do not imho need
44 inetd at all.
45
46 > X
47 Make sure the default installation does not listen to tcp.
48
49 > Lpd
50 For home users pdq is more easy.
51
52 > FTP
53 oftpd
54
55 > Mail
56 On desktop machines the mail daemon should not accept connections
57 from outside.
58
59 > Chroot
60 I have an jail ebuild if someone is interested.
61
62 - Einar Karttunen