From: Benda Xu <heroxbd@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Un-slotting LLVM
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 07:43:02
1 Hi Michał,
2
3 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> writes:
4
5 >> [...]
6 >>
7 >> Unfortunately, this ended up pretty bothersome to maintain. Besides
8 >> making ebuilds quite complex (and prone to mistakes), I'm hearing more
9 >> and more reports of programs being broken through getting multiple LLVM
10 >> versions in the link chain.
11 >>
12 >> This is not something that can be easily solved. In other words, it's
13 >> a mess and I don't think we're really getting anywhere. For this
14 >> reason, I'm considering dropping slotting and going back to permitting
15 >> only a single version of LLVM and Clang being installed.
16 >>
17 >> [...]
18 >
19 > I've got the message and slotted LLVM and Clang are going to stay for
20 > the time being.
21
22 Thank you! I appreciate your decision. From the discussions of this
23 thread, the quality and SLOTing of llvm is a killing feature of Gentoo.
24
25 Shall we open a tracker bug to put together the linkage bugs? We might
26 gain some inspirations from the global picture.
27
28 Yours,
29 Benda