From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-web-user] Hardened PHP now in Gentoo
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 18:56:06
1 On Wed, 19 May 2004 14:34:12 -0400 Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o> wrote:
2 | I think we should address this with USE flag groupings. Someone should
3 | be able to just say they want full video support, for example, and
4 | that should enable all (freely available licensing-wise) codec flags.
5 | That way we can provide both simplicity and flexibility.
6
7 Strangely enough, I just suggested this in #gentoo-dev . Aside from the
8 issue of tidying up the existing USE flag setup, how do people feel
9 about something along the following lines (I'll GLEP it if the general
10 idea seems ok to people...):
11
12 ciaranm> jstubbs / genone: how hard would it be to add a use.groups to
13 portage which allowed aliases like @DESKTOP@ = @GNOME@ @KDE@ X, @GNOME@
14 = gtk2 gtk gnome X and @MEDIA@ = jpeg png dvd quicktime mpeg blah blah?
15
16 genone> ciaranm: shouldn't be too hard, but there might be some little
17 details I don't see atm making it difficult
18
19 ciaranm> genone: issues i could think of are recursive (would have to
20 avoid circular...), and behaviour of -@GNOME@ (i'd just ban that
21 outright...)
22
23 ciaranm> genone: presumably @GNOME@ -gtk2 (for example) would work...
24 right now USE="blah-blah" -> -blah, right?
25
26 genone> USE="bla -bla" => USE=""
27
28 ciaranm> and -blah blah -> blah?
29
30 genone> yep
31
32 ciaranm> cool, thanks
33
34 genone> circularity isn't a big problem, just limit to n levels of
35 dereference, -@GROUP@ shouldn't be a problem either
36
37 genone> I'm more thinking about orders and so
38
39 ciaranm> how would -@GROUP@ work? just invert all the flags in @GROUP@ ?
40
41 genone> yes
42
43 * ciaranm thinks that could get rather confusing
44
45 genone> why that ?
46
47 steel300> @GNOME@=-kde -qt gnome gtks
48
49 ciaranm> well, -@KDE@ for example would disable more than just kde
50
51 ciaranm> steel300: except then you'd upset people who do @KDE@ @GNOME@
52
53 ciaranm> steel300: i'd rather not have kde imply !gnome
54
55 genone> yeah, negated use flags would be forbidden in groups
56
57 steel300> it was just an example
58
59 ciaranm> steel300: i'm thinking @DESKTOP@=@KDE@ @GNOME@ @MEDIA@
60
61 ciaranm> for example
62
63 steel300> will any include -*?
64
65 genone> no
66
67 ciaranm> hell no
68
69 steel300> is this a user defined thing or do we manage it?
70
71 ciaranm> i'm not so sure about disabling -blah in groups... @SERVER@=-X
72 -kde -gnome -qt etc for example
73
74 ciaranm> steel300: i'd just stick it in /usr/portage/profiles/ myself...
75
76 ciaranm> steel300: mmmmmmmaybe allow an/etc/portage/ entry
77
78 genone> USE="-* @SERVER@"
79
80 Here's hoping -claws doesn't munge the formatting for once...
83 Ciaran McCreesh, Gentoo XMLcracy Member G03X276
84 (Sparc, MIPS, Vim, si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes)
85 Mail: ciaranm at gentoo.org
86 Web: http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm