From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About forcing rebuilds of other packages issue
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2012 17:21:14
On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 11:48:26 +0200
Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
> That looks nice, only two notes: > - Looks like would be more sense on distinguish between "SLOT" and > ABI_SLOT, for example: > * dbus-glib would rdepend on glib:2 > * if glib:2 abi changes, we would pull a ABI_SLOT="2.32" > inside glib-2 ebuild > * dbus-glib rdepending on glib:=2 would get rebuilt > If we would use "SLOT" for all the cases, how would we handle it? I > mean, glib slot would be bumped to "2.32" and dbus-glib ebuilds > updated to rdepend on every new slot? Or would package managers > distinct between "versions" inside the same SLOT variable?
You'd have a slot per ABI, and be encouraged to allow multiple versions of glib to be installed in parallel. If you really couldn't do that (and you should think very carefully before saying you can't, since this directly affects users in a huge way), you can make the slots block each other.
> - What would occur with packages forced to use eapi0 due backwards > compat? We could probably deprecate eapis older than 5 to allow all > the tree be consistent with this rebuilds forcing, but no idea what > to do with system packages still needing to use eapi0 and maybe > changing their ABI too :/
The situation for older packages remains the same. -- Ciaran McCreesh