From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About forcing rebuilds of other packages issue
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2012 17:21:14
1 On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 11:48:26 +0200
2 Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
3 > That looks nice, only two notes:
4 > - Looks like would be more sense on distinguish between "SLOT" and
5 > ABI_SLOT, for example:
6 > * dbus-glib would rdepend on glib:2
7 > * if glib:2 abi changes, we would pull a ABI_SLOT="2.32"
8 > inside glib-2 ebuild
9 > * dbus-glib rdepending on glib:=2 would get rebuilt
10 > If we would use "SLOT" for all the cases, how would we handle it? I
11 > mean, glib slot would be bumped to "2.32" and dbus-glib ebuilds
12 > updated to rdepend on every new slot? Or would package managers
13 > distinct between "versions" inside the same SLOT variable?
14
15 You'd have a slot per ABI, and be encouraged to allow multiple versions
16 of glib to be installed in parallel. If you really couldn't do that
17 (and you should think very carefully before saying you can't, since
18 this directly affects users in a huge way), you can make the slots
19 block each other.
20
21 > - What would occur with packages forced to use eapi0 due backwards
22 > compat? We could probably deprecate eapis older than 5 to allow all
23 > the tree be consistent with this rebuilds forcing, but no idea what
24 > to do with system packages still needing to use eapi0 and maybe
25 > changing their ABI too :/
26
27 The situation for older packages remains the same.
30 Ciaran McCreesh