From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] supporting /usr on separate partition
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 20:32:25
1 On 10/17/2011 01:01 PM, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 > --Snippet from the commit result:
3 > <p>
4 > However, multiple partitions have disadvantages as well. If not configured
5 > properly, you will have a system with lots of free space on one partition
6 > and none on another. Another nuisance is that separate partitions - especially
8 > often require the administrator to boot with an initramfs to mount the partition
9 > before other boot scripts start. This isn't always the case though, so YMMV.
10 > </p>
11 >
12 > <p>
13 > There is also a 15-partition limit for SCSI and SATA unless you use GPT
14 > labels.
15 > </p>
16 > --End Snippet
17 >
18 > Now, I must say I find it strange that people think that the Gentoo Handbook
19 > suggests users to use a separate /usr partition. It does not. The default
20 > partitioning that we use is a separate /boot (yes, this can and has been
21 > debated in the past, I'm not going to change this) and / with a separate
22 > swap partition. Nothing more, nothing less. There are a few code listings
23 > where an example output is given which holds a separate /usr but I hope all
24 > those listings are clear that they are examples.
25
26 Even if you don't consider them to be formal "suggestions", their mere
27 presence as examples lends them credence.
28
29 > It also states that this is an example we use in the Gentoo Handbook and
30 > that it depends on the user how he wants his partition scheme layed out.
31 >
32 > I'm hoping that the above update clarifies this sufficiently so that huge
33 > threads like this one don't need to reappear again ;-) If you think it is
34 > still unclear or needs improvements left or right, don't hesitate to mail me
35 > or, even better, file a bugreport (I act better on bug reports than on
36 > e-mails).
37
38 I think the new "disadvantages" section that you posted should convey an
39 appropriate level of caution. Thanks!
40 --
41 Thanks,
42 Zac