From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: glibc question re bug #67166 et al
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 10:05:50
1 Mike Frysinger posted <200410181023.55410.vapier@g.o>, excerpted
2 below, on Mon, 18 Oct 2004 10:23:55 -0400:
3
4 > On Sunday 17 October 2004 04:41 pm, Collins Richey wrote:
5 >> Is this a safe practice for nptl users, or will this break something
6 >> else because the linuxthreads code is omitted?
7 >
8 > considering USE=nptl has been omitting linuxthreads support thus far on
9 > your machine, nothing should break
10
11 That's what I thought here, on AMD64, compiled from original install with
12 kernel 2.6/nptl, but I tried compiling it w/ nptlonly, and it broke a
13 number of apps, including ls! I had a time backing out, too, but IIRC I
14 was able to do so by manually extracting an older binary glibc package
15 over top of the existing system, since emerge functionality was pretty
16 much broken. Luckily bz2 and tar continued to work, as did mc, a bit
17 surprisingly given its dependencies in comparison to ls.
18
19 Anyway, I /etc/package.masked that for now and remain back on
20 glibc-2.3.4.20040808-r1. I noticed another one come up that I hadn't
21 tried, but as they tend to come and go rather fast, I decided to wait and
22 see, before attempting a 200410xx emerge again real soon. I have
23 tomorrow off work unless they call me in, so maybe I'll remove my mask
24 and see what's available, then, when I have the extra time to recover if
25 it dies on me again.
29 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
30 temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --
31 Benjamin Franklin
36 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list