From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: grobian@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: locations of binaries and separate /usr
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 19:28:46
1 On Wed, 4 Jan 2012 20:00:51 +0100
2 Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 04-01-2012 19:50:24 +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > On Wed, 4 Jan 2012 18:12:18 +0100
6 > > Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
7 > >
8 > > > >>>>> On Wed, 4 Jan 2012, Michał Górny wrote:
9 > > >
10 > > > >> What mistakes?
11 > > >
12 > > > > The mistake of introducing a pointless separation based on a
13 > > > > rule of thumb which becomes more and more blurry over time, and
14 > > > > hacking packages just to make it work.
15 > > >
16 > > > There's really nothing pointless or blurry about this separation.
17 > > > The FHS has a nice definition: "The contents of the root
18 > > > filesystem must be adequate to boot, restore, recover, and/or
19 > > > repair the system."
20 > >
21 > > Why don't we have sshd there then? I don't really feel like
22 > > repairing remote system without fallback sshd.
23 >
24 > Network isn't typically in that bootlevel. You'd just attach through
25 > the console (netmgt, ipmi, keyboard/vga) instead.
26 >
27 > > And a compiler. If I mess up some important system component, I'd
28 > > really use one. And package manager. And backup system libraries...
29 >
30 > Time for your PXE boot from net to just bring back a sane image or so.
31
32 My PXE boot from net won't happen because possible /usr-over-NFS relies
33 on random files from other rootfs, and they just failed to be in sync
34 between two of my systems.
37 Best regards,
38 Michał Górny