From: "Brett I. Holcomb" <brettholcomb@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] doman problems
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 04:32:23
1 I'm not sure if I'm getting more confused or figuring this out <G>.
2
3 When make install is run for the package it puts the man files (blah.1,
4 etc.) in ${D}/usr/lib/${PN}/man/man1 and the man 5 files in man5.
5
6 The ebuild first used doman to process the files. This appeared to do
7 nothing. The compressed files did not show up in
8 ${D}/usr/share/man/manx nor anywhere else.
9
10 I then used prepallman. However, it appears that the files have to be
11 in the ${D}/usr/share/man subdirectories and then it will compress them
12
13 Going through the man 5 ebuild page again it appears that doman needs to
14 have the DESTDIR set with into dir. I'm not doing that so I'll try it.
15
16 However, I have a question about where man pages on Gentoo. They appear
17 to be installed to /usr/share/man/manx. However, /usr/man is linked to
18 /usr/share/man. Is this done for programs who expect man pages to be in
19 /usr/man?
20
21 Thanks.