From: Petre Rodan <petre.rodan@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Cc: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] qmail testing again
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 06:55:41
1 I'm sorry to disturb you, but I couldn't help noticing that currently there are 15 patches to qmail, and this number has the tendency to rise with every ebuild.
2
3 I feel that DJ Bernstein did a great job creating the world's safest MTA. This is one of the main reasons sysadmins use it. My point is that even if there are reasons for upgrading the product (to add new features and such) the issues with not doing it are considerable and will likely out-weigh them. The commotion generated by smtp-auth patch is an example.
4
5 Now please don't get me wrong, I appreciate your work, I simply fell in love with Gentoo but I think that those who would like to emerge qmail should have the choice of selecting the exact features that can make them happy. Simply masking versions doesn't sound to good, maybe some USE switches would ease the way. I'm wondering maybe qmail-1.03-x.ebuild can be made to inherit some patch related switches from a file that is system-specific.
6
7 What are your thoughts on this?
8
9 Best regards,