From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: app-editors/vim and USE="vim-with-x" -> Rename to USE="X"?
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 20:39:08
1 Ciaran McCreesh posted on Mon, 07 Jun 2010 19:53:22 +0100 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 14:44:32 -0400
4 > Jim Ramsay <lack@g.o> wrote:
5 >> There is an ancient bug[1] dealing with the "vim-with-x" USE flag.
6 >>
7 >> I think it makes sense to rename this flag from 'vim-with-x' to just
8 >> 'X', but thought I'd raise the issue here since this USE flag has been
9 >> around since before time began.
10 >
11 > It's there because if you break your X you probably want a usable editor
12 > to help you fix it.
13
14 That's a good point, but it would be much like links, with the X (and
15 several others, jpeg, png, tiff, etc) USE flags. Many people use it
16 primarily or exclusively as a console browser and don't want it broken if
17 those libraries are, despite the fact that they use X (and the image
18 libraries) by default, and thus have those USE flags enabled by default.
19
20 IOW. that's what package.use is for (with portage, anyway, no idea what
21 the alternative PMs use, but portage is the default, anyway). There are
22 packages where one doesn't want the global flags enabled, and there are
23 mechanisms in place for just that USE (heh!) case. Use 'em for what
24 they're designed for! =:^)
29 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman