From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Package file name requirement for binary ebuilds
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 20:48:26
1 On Friday, October 14, 2016 8:15:35 PM EDT Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 >
3 > > The devmanual has the same info as in the PMS including on the suffix
4 > > https://dev.gentoo.org/~ulm/pms/head/pms.html#x1-300003.2
5 >
6 > That section is about version suffixes (like _beta or _rc), not about
7 > package names.
8
9 I am aware, the one I posted initially was about package names. I was just
10 showing the PMS in various sections says the same thing as the devmanual in
11 condensed form.
12
13 > If anything at all, it would be a naming convention specific to the
14 > gentoo repository. Others' repositories can follow different rules.
15
16 It seems others already do this, like exherbo pretty sure Funtoo is the same.
17 They also use the -bin naming scheme for binaries. Not aware of other distros
18 using PMS. For self built, may go with -ebin vs -gbin for universal use.
19
20 I just wanted to standardize use of such. I see -bin's in places but I have
21 never seen any document say it should be done, it is required, etc. Some
22 binary packages do not have that. Should they? Nothing says they are required
23 to, thus the suggested requirement.
24
25 No worries either way, just wanted to standardize things.
28 William L. Thomson Jr.