From: Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] more up to date minimal install cd
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 08:30:47
1 Denis Dupeyron wrote:
2 > On 3/3/07, Daniel Robbins <drobbins.daniel@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Right now, installing Gentoo is a chore, and the many wonderful
4 >> choices of Gentoo end up making the install rather complicated. So I
5 >> definitely support ideas to help make our installation process
6 >> better/streamlined and less confusing. There are a lot of easy little
7 >> things that could be done.
8 >
9 > What do you think of a simplified handbook ? One that presents a lot
10 > fewer choices to the user, in order to be less confusing. I don't mean
11 > replacing the current handbook which is one great piece of work, but
12 > writing a "Gentoo in 10 easy steps" kind of guide.
13 >
14 > One of us may even have written one already. If not, I'm willing to
15 > write or help writing one if that's considered a good idea.
16
17 Next time, read the documentation first.
18 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/list.xml
19
20 We've several quickstart/faq-type guides, and an alternate installation
21 howto. Man, I wish more developers would read the documentation, or at
22 least bother to get a general idea of what we have. There are some good
23 resources to be found with even minimal searching.
24
25 Anyway, re-writing the handbooks for multiple releases? Oh, hell no.
26 It's an incredible amount of work even with several GDP devs helping out
27 to get it ready for each point release, let alone when most of the team
28 is inactive, busy with real life, or otherwise unavailable.
29
30 Doing it nightly, weekly, or even monthly? That ain't gonna work. And
31 don't talk about "completely unsupported, so no need to write docs". The
32 main purpose here seems to be for hardware functionality, and that
33 changes from release to release. From trivial things like
34 s/dobladecenter/doslowusb to major things like new boot parameters and
35 RAID modules, to say nothing of how networking and baselayout change.
36 It's irresponsible to say to users, "Here, download this if you want to,
37 but you have to figure out how the heck it works, because we're not
38 telling, nyah nyah!" Users: "WTF no docs? Gentoo sux! YOU sux!"
39
40 So from the standpoint of the most active GDP member who'd have to write
41 the HBs 200 hours a week to keep up, it ain't gonna work too well. :)