From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: what happened to /etc/init.d/hal{d,daemon,whatever} script ?
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 07:42:40
1 Branko Badrljica <brankob@××××××××××.com> posted
2 494F1518.2020109@××××××××××.com, excerpted below, on Mon, 22 Dec 2008
3 05:18:32 +0100:
4
5 > Maybe I should have filed this as a bug, but don't have a clue to which
6 > package should I assign it, if any.
7
8 FWIW, this would have been a perfect question for the gentoo-desktop
9 list, but doesn't really belong on the -dev list. There's also the
10 gentoo-user list, altho that one has very heavy volume so you might not
11 wish to subscribe there. I know you didn't know where to post, so this
12 is simply for future reference. Try to keep the -dev list for technical
13 dev discussion, as every post the devs have to deal with here is time
14 they can't be spending on fixing packages. =:^(
15
16 > I was forced to switch baselayout from stable 1.12.11* to 2.0.0, which
17 > triggered openrc install etc. I did all that etc , then after some time
18 > I noticed that system doesn't respond to PnP events.
19 >
20 > So I started looking around and have noticed that I have no
21 > /etc/init.d/hald and that hal daemon never gets called during boot.
22
23 > Then I tried to find alternate hald starting mechanism, but couldn't
24 > find any. I did "emerge -pv system | grep hal" and noticed that hal
25 > damon is not part of the system, but it is part of the world and it gets
26 > reemerged if I unmerge it, since 15-something packages depend on it
27 > throuh "hal" use flag.
28
29 equery belongs /etc/init.d/hald
30 [ Searching for file(s) /etc/init.d/hald in *... ]
31 sys-apps/hal-0.5.11-r4 (/etc/init.d/hald)
32
33 So did you actually remerge hal? What version? The above hal-0.5.11-r4
34 is the ~arch version, but -r1 appears to be the latest stable (except for
35 arm and sh, on which 0.5.9.1-r3 is latest stable) and at least my
36 archived binpkg -r1 has /etc/init.d/hald as well. Even my oldest
37 archived hal-0.5.10 binpkg has that file. So if it's not being created
38 when you remerge hal and you aren't running something terribly outdated,
39 I'd say it's time to look up hal bugs, and to file one if necessary.
40
41 (As above, please post anything further on the topic to the desktop list,
42 which I read as well, to keep the dev list from getting too cluttered.
43 Thanks.)
48 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman