From: "Sven Köhler" <skoehler@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: why does gcc-3.4.x depend on gcc-3.3.x / libstdc++?
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 17:20:09
1 >>I must say I have been wondering about this for a while too.
2 >>A solution might be add some sort of flag to packages that are binary,
3 >>and then let portage install libstdc++ the first time you install this
4 >>kind of package.
5 >
6 > You mean, like have binary packages depend on
7 > virtual/libstdc++-SOMEVERSION and have virtual/libstdc++ provided by gcc
8 > or the split-out libstdc++ ebuild?
9
10 Some packages event depend on libstdc++-v3 even if gcc-3.3 is installed.
11 I suggested virtuals for each libstdc++-version a long time ago since
12 they are provided by either gcc or seperate libstdc++ ebuilds. It was
13 rejected by i think vapier or azarah.
14
15 Furthermore, i suggested that portage may analyse installed binaries for
16 dependency on a specific libstc++ version and it may record an
17 additional depency for such packages.
18 This would solve the "emerge depclean uninstalls in-use libstdc++
19 library" easily. Of course, this might need heavy changes to portage.