From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] EID database and entries getting to baselayout
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 22:51:05
1 A long time ago (May 2003), on gentoo-core, a discussion was held as to
2 a consistant way to add new users as required by ebuilds for daemons.
3
4 The solution agreed upon was that all users/groups that people need
5 added should be placed in CVS in gentoo-src/eid_database/{passwd,group}.
6
7 Then enewuser/enewgroup could then be used in conjuction with that data
8 to provide details in /etc/{passwd,group}.
9
10 The primary reason for the data files was to keep track of low numbered
11 system uid/gid values, so that we didn't have conflicts, and also so
12 that we didn't have the ugliness of useradd everywhere in the tree.
13
14 However, this knowledge seems to have just been forgotten along the way.
15
16 In an effort to clean things up, I'll be filling a batch of bugs shortly
17 tracking instances of useradd/groupadd and trying to extract data for
18 the eid_databases from all existing instances of enewuser/enewgroup.
21 Robin Hugh Johnson
22 E-Mail : robbat2@××××××××××××××.net
23 Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2
24 ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639
25 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85