From: Mamoru KOMACHI <usata@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] *-doc vs USE="doc"
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 11:54:50
1 Hi,
2
3 At 12 Jul 2003 09:42:39 +0100,
4 Alastair Tse wrote:
5
6 > Also, it seems to me that the "doc" USE flag is too encompassing. It is
7 > used for both installing user documentation (user guides, application
8 > user help) and also to install developer documentation (APIs,
9 > programming tutorials, Javadoc, etc). I think we should have a "devdoc"
10 > USE flag to differentiate between the two.
11
12 I agree. It would be better to turn on/off doc installation with "doc"
13 USE flag (even though it is a user documentation, some may not want to
14 install any documentation at all).
15
16 Also I suggest that we would better have "man" USE flag to decide
17 whether we will install man pages or not (defaults to turn on).
18
19 However, this "man" USE flag raises one question -- how should we deal
20 with i18n man pages? I've almost translated portage man into Japanese,
21 but don't know where to ask. I think there are three options:
22
23 1. put it into app-i18n/manpages-ja, together with other Japanese
24 man pages
25 2. create app-i18n/gentoo-manpages-ja and put portage (and possibly
26 gentoolkit) man pages into it
27 3. put it into sys-apps/portage and create <lang> USE flag to
28 determine which man pages to install
29
30 The problem in the first option is that if we install manpages-<lang>,
31 we have to install all the man pages in it regardless of what
32 applications we use (eg. we have to install NIS/NFS man pages even when
33 we don't install them). Currently German, Spanish, French and Russian
34 have their own man pages in app-i18n, but none of them has portage
35 man pages translated.
36
37 And if we take the second option (originally nakano suggested me this
38 option) we will have both manpages-ja and gentoo-manpages-ja, which,
39 in my point of view, does not look nice. However, if we separate
40 gentoo-manpages-<lang> from manpages-<lang>, we can keep
41 gentoo-manpages-<lang> up to date pretty easily.
42
43 Lastly, if we are to have <lang> USE flag and "man" USE flag, we
44 should modify /usr/lib/portage/bin/*man to handle i18nised man pages.
45 If we have USE="ja man", Japanese man pages will be installed in
46 addition to standard man pages. I think this is the most "gentooish" way
47 of dealing with i18n, but the problem is we need to split
48 manpages-<lang> into individual ebuilds. Of course it takes a lot of
49 time and efforts, and it will get complicated to manage i18n man pages
50 (though we needn't care about it in each ebuild, as it is hidden in
51 portage helper scripts shown above). Suppose there is an update of
52 translated man pages but no change in original source, should we change
53 the revision number so that people who turn the USE flag on can get
54 the benefit of it (the most non-<lang> speaker will not get any
55 advantage from it but be forced to recompile it) ?
56
57 Any comments?
58
59 regards,