From: Curtis Napier <curtis119@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo theming during bootup
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 18:07:23
1 Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > Curtis Napier wrote:
3 >>> Spyderous already has a new logo started that we can build on. We can
4 >>> easily take it and build an entire theme around it. We also have the
5 >>> lila theme and the Gentoo Icon Set we can use as raw material. Both of
6 >>> them could easily be reworked into something we can use if we need to.
7 >
8 > That might be pushing things a little bit. What I've got are some
9 > general themes/ideas that need some work and creativity by a good
10 > graphics person to make into reality.
11 >
12 > Thanks,
13 > Donnie
14
15 You think it's to much? IMHO it's high time Gentoo presented a unified
16 professional look and feel to the world. We want to act and be treated
17 as a professional organization yet we have a hodge-podge of themes and
18 styles that makes us look amateurish. I don't care how or why it got
19 this way, I just want to do should something about it NOW.
20
21 I honestly think we can make it happen if we all pitch in. fox2mike
22 knows that artist who has already contributed artwork and says he is
23 willing to contribute more. I also know an artist who may be willing to
24 do a few things here and there.
25
26 fox2mike, can you talk to that artist guy and see what he is willing to
27 help out with or if he has any ideas?
28
29 Really, all we need is a set of color codes, a main logo and an icon
30 base set to start us out. All the rest can be built with that if we use
31 one of the 2 existing icon sets color coded to match.
32
33 Maybe we should start a list of things that need to be themed so we know
34 what sort of artwork that will take. I'll start a list right now, if you
35 are working on any of these things or have the skill/desire to work on
36 them respond:
37
38 Gentoo Logo
39 grubsplash
40 framebuffer splash
41 gdm
42 kdm
43 qt
44 gtk
45 gnome/kde startup splash
46 metacity
47 kwin
48 icons
49 wallpapers
50 PR materials (posters, handouts, business cards, etc..)
51 Cafepress store items
52 websites
53
54 other WM's/desktops can also be done if someone is willing to do it.
55 Like E17 or XFCE, etc... Even if they don't get full custom themes they
56 can still use the icons and wallpapers and the qt/gtk theme will apply
57 to the apps.
58
59 The lila theme[1] already has *most* of that stuff already. This project
60 is highly configurable as far as color scheme is concerned (it's svg).
61 The icons can easily be colorized to match any scheme and we even have
62 ebuilds for all of it (not in the tree though) that are mostly up to
63 date. Maybe the lila maintainer would be willing to jump in and help us
64 out with this.
65
66 We also have the Gentoo Icon Set[2] to work with but it's not as easy to
67 customize as lila and some of the icons have questionable copyright.
68 Lila is all original GPL'd artwork that we would be free to use.
69
70 To be honest I think lila, colorized to match whatever scheme we decide
71 on, is the best way to go. It already has most of what we need and it's
72 relatively easy to customize. Since no artistic skill would be required
73 to customize lila I could do a lot of this stuff. I would be willing to
74 do anything with gnome, updating gtk/metacity/icons etc... That sort of
75 stuff is all fill-in-the-blank scripting for the most part with
76 excellent tutorials already provided.
77
78 And this theming should extend to all of our artwork. Things like
79 business cards and all the stuff that PR uses at the live shows. All the
80 stuff in the store, etc... Once we have an agreed upon logo and color
81 scheme that stuff will be *relatively* easy to change.
82
83 Spyderous, what is the Desktop herds stance on this. If we can get this
84 all done (or as much of it as possible) is Desktop willing to make it
85 the default theme? What would it take for this to happen?
86
87 Wolf31o2, what about you and the other CD maintainers, are you guys
88 willing to use this if we can get it done?
89
90 PR, are you guys willing (or able) to remake your materials? What would
91 it take?
92
93 Who runs the store? I can't find any info about it. Can you/will you
94 change the products?
95
96 Anything else that can be themed that I'm missing?
97
98 Like I said in that other email, if we start right now we could have it
99 all done in time for 2007.0.
100
101 Am I being crazy thinking we can do all of this? Does anyone else even
102 want to try or think it's a good idea? Any other questions, comments,
103 suggestions, flames?
106 [1]http://lila-theme.berlios.de/
107 [2]http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/icons.xml