From: Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Exorcising a d(a)emon from GNOME's past (aka EsounD Last Rites)
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2012 12:26:39
1 On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 4:39 PM, Michael Weber <xmw@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 01/04/2012 04:42 AM, Arun Raghavan wrote:
3 >> We've just made it optional in upstream git as well, so unless someone
4 >> screams murder, I'm going to make esd support an off-by-default USE
5 >> flag for media-sound/pulseaudio as well.
8 > MURDER!!
9 >
10 > Is the tree-cleaning really necessary?
11 > Can't we just keep ESD as an working Option.
12
13 Yes, it is necessary. EsounD causes subtle bugs in systems where it's
14 installed, and there's no point testing for it since it has been
15 bitrotting for ages.
16
17 > PulseAudio is quite nasty and i would rather use *netcat* instead of
18 > pulse for audio streaming.
21 Actually, you don't need netcat or pulse for audio streaming. You can
22 use any streaming program (gst-launch, icecast, etc) to do that.
23
24 Pulseaudio makes it really easy by exporting individual streams for
25 each application, which allows easy management. EsounD has no
26 advantages over icecast.
29 ~Nirbheek Chauhan
30
31 Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team