From: Eldad Zack <eldad@××××××××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] QA question wrg. GRP
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 21:36:03
1 > > cludging DEPEND manually or with tools break the whole idea of making
2 > > packages from the same stuff we make source builds with.
3 >
4 > It's not really a kludge. The RDEPEND line specifies what versions of
5 > what packages the about-to-be-installed package needs - it's just that
6 > binary packages are stricter in their version needs that source
7 > packages. Since we're making sure that the compiled ebuilds are
8 > tightly coupled to the compiled source, there's no way for them to cause
9 > damage.
10
11 Well, if you put a dummy ebuild to satisfy a binary ebuild package in
12 the overlay dir... well, it's a kludge. A better way to do it would be
13 to place the RDEPEND information in the .tbz2 , and on a binary emerge
14 have portage checkout if the RDEPEND for this package is satisfied.
15
16 BTW, same for useflags. If I emerge a binary package portage doesn't
17 care about the use flags the binary was build with - just the flags I
18 specify, that's broken behaviour imho, and you have to manually
19 correlate the useflags to prevent breakage.
22 Eldad
26 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list