From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] About using USE flags to pull in needed RDEPENDs being discouraged by devmanual
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 16:31:52
El sáb, 16-06-2012 a las 18:09 +0200, hasufell escribió:
> It breaks the useflag philosophy, IMO. > > Useflags were meant as switches. You can turn things on and off. Pulling > in optional dependencies via useflags does not allow the user to turn > something off when he sets USE="-foo" emerge fuqbar. > That should only be valid for virtuals or meta-packages. And that's what > those are for. >
Maybe we could split them from RDEPEND to some kind of EXTRA_DEPEND (or something else) to fit this purpose.
> It's not that important if there is a linkage IMO (like the devmanual > says), cause that may not apply to all languages/usecases, but it MUST > change what gets installed. > > > 1. We rely in people reading the message to get package working ok. > > Yes, we should rely on that.
The problem of relying on that is, for example, following situation: 1. I install all my system without thinking on USB modems as I don't have one. 2. Months after that, I need its support, but I need to figure out I need to manually emerge sys-apps/usb_modeswitch to get it used by modemmanager, as I don't rebuild net-misc/modemmanager every day, I get no notification at all to know I need to emerge that package.
> > > 2. If user emerges ppp, it will be recorded in world file and, then, if > > in the future he removes bluez, emerge --depclean want clean no longer > > needed ppp and then, people end up with a lot of packages they needed > > to manually emerge some year but that they problem no longer need at all. > > It's not our job to maintain users world files. > >
Even for me I tend to periodically check world files of machines I maintain, and it's tedious, we shouldn't promote people to easily contaminate their world files. Currently, most people will end up having a lot of unneeded packages installed in their systems after years of usage due this way of happily telling people to install some random packages to get extra support.