From: Andrew Ross <aross@×××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] position of inherit in ebuilds and checking via repoman
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 12:13:21
1 While reading ebuild descriptions returned via emerge search, I've
2 noticed descriptions such as "Based on the eutils eclass".
3
4 A quick check of the ebuilds in question show that they are setting
5 DESCRIPTION before calling inherit.
6
7 In bug #36322, SpanKY (vapier@g.o) wrote "you inherit before you
8 do anything else in ebuilds, read the docs/policy, it should be in there
9 somewhere". He makes similar statements in bug #15675
10
11 This seems to be supported by the eclass HOWTO
12 (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/eclass-howto.xml), yet there are a still a
13 number of ebuilds in portage which do not adhere to this convention
14 (including mainstream packages such as mod_php).
15
16 I'm going to submit a bug report (with patch, of course) for each ebuild
17 I find that uses inherit incorrectly, mainly, because I'm sick of
18 missing out on the descriptions :-)
19
20 Would it be appropriate for repoman to check for the correct use of
21 inherit?
22
23 Cheers
24